- From the Discovery Channel, the Top Ten Discoveries of the Decade in slide show format and Top Ten Animal News Videos of 2009, including a report on the discovery that apes "giggle" like humans.
- From the National Wildlife Federation, The Top Ten Wildlife Stories of 2010.
- From Scientific American, the Top Science Stories of 2009.
- From Animal Planet, the Best Animal Moments of 2009 (aka most watched creature features.)
- And, our friends at NASA tout the discovery of water on the moon in their NASA Year In Review slide show.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
In a nutshell, the moon won't actually appear blue in color! Instead, it's a calendar thing... 2nd full moon of the month is considered a "blue moon." (By the way, Jay says the moon can appear blue when volcanic ash changes the light, but that's not in play tonight, in spite of the pretty photo we posted here!) And, there is another seasonal definition of blue moon as well.
Happy New Year and be careful out there!
One survey per household, please. You'll be redirected to our homepage if someone on your computer has already completed the survey.We'll contact the free camp winner prior to our March Summer Camp registration.
Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!
Friday, December 18, 2009
The sound of jingle bells heralded this week's arrival of gifts for the animals from the Frogs and Polliwogs classes (which, for the uninitiated, is a popular parent & tot program.) Many of our school-year classes collect items from our "Wish List" as a class holiday project.
Monday, December 14, 2009
Stumped on what to get the animal or nature lover on your gift list? Here are four ideas you can pick up right here at Lake Erie Nature & Science Center (some, you can order online or over the phone (at 440-871-2900) from the comfort of your easy chair!) Best of all, you'll feel great knowing your gift dollars are making a difference in your community!
the benefits of a Membership to Lake Erie Nature & Science Center, plus through the end of the year, get a free t-shirt! Join online.
Make a donation in your loved one's name. It's a pure, green form of giving that pays dividends in your backyard! Plus, if your gift is new or increased over your 2008 contribution, our "Go Wild" match will double your donation! Donate online now and choose the radio button for "Tribute Gift," fill in your recipient's name and address and we'll send both of you an acknowledgment of your gift.
Thank you for supporting the non-profit Lake Erie Nature & Science Center with your gifts and Happy Holidays!
Monday, December 7, 2009
Donations from people like you allow us to provide FREE admission and FREE wildlife rehab services 7 days a week. Please help us reach our year-end goal. If you and four friends each give a new gift of $10 and it's multiplied through our matching grant, that will =$100! What a difference that will make!
The chance to double your donation is only good until December 31, 2009, so please don't wait!
• Use our online donation form (select the Annual Fundraising Appeal radio button)
• Donate (and invite friends to support us) through our Facebook Causes page
• Mail a gift to Lake Erie Nature & Science Center, 28728 Wolf Road, Bay Village Ohio 44140
• Make a credit card contribution by phone at 440-871-2900
Your gift is fully tax deductible, too! Rally your friends for our non-profit cause today! Watch this "Go Wild" video link and pass it on!
All of us at your Lake Erie Nature & Science Center thank you for your support!